Allison Lovelady focuses primarily on intellectual property, content, defamation and privacy disputes. She has a wide array of experience litigating and counseling clients in licensing and entertainment matters. Allison’s vast intellectual property knowledge arises from copyright and trademark litigation experience and management of client IP portfolios, which involve advising clients on prosecution strategies and representing clients through Trademark Trial and Appeal Board disputes. Allison negotiates licensing and other creative solutions for clients ranging from music distributors, food trucks and entertainment websites to small and large businesses. As part of her daily practice, she negotiates contracts regarding use of client name, likeness, and intellectual property in motion pictures, reality television, music videos, and commercials. She also handles public performance licensing for commercial businesses and has previously secured licensing for large scale festivals like the Ultra Music Festival in Miami, Florida.
In her media practice, Allison routinely handles subpoenas for footage held by media outlets and advises clients on obtaining public records and access to court proceedings. She also has experience defending defamation and privacy-related claims.
Allison has appeared in the United States Supreme Court on internet defamation issues, and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, Florida Supreme Court and Florida Appellate Courts on trademark and copyright infringement and media access issues. Allison serves as legal counsel for the non-profit Art & Culture Center in Hollywood, Florida.
- JD, Nova Southeastern University, 2009
- BS, cum laude, University of Florida, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2012-2019)
Speaking & Media
- Speaker, “Trademark Fair Use in the Digital World”, American Bar Association Landslide Webinar (June 2019)
- Panel Speaker, Public Records after Parkland Tragedy; ABA Forum on Communications Law Annual Conference (Miami, FL, February 2019)
- Panel Speaker, Copyright and Digital Media, National Association of Hispanic Journalists Conference (Miami, FL, July 2018)
- Moderator, “Online Piracy in Latin America,” Media Law Resource Center conference on Legal Issues Concerning Hispanic and Latin American Media (2017).
- Panelist, “Festivals and Touring,” 5th Annual NSU Sports & Entertainment Law Symposium (2012).
- Speaker, “Demystifying Copyright, Trademark and Patents,” Florida Bar Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Section (2012).
- Speaker, NSU Intellectual Property Law Society (2011, 2016).
- Allison has been quoted in several publications for her knowledge on media access and intellectual property issues, such as the Palm Beach Post, Gainesville Sun, First Coast News, and others.
- Author, What’s in a [Business] Name? Trademark Fair use in Today’s Digital Climate, American Bar Association Landslide Magazine (2019).
- Co-Author, Florida Open Courts Compendium, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (2015).
- Contributor, Chapter II Access to Exhibits, Media Law Resource Center Panic Book (2015).
- Co-Author, Cameras in the Courtroom, Reporter’s Handbook (2012-present).